For the Love of Succulents!

Succulents seem to be all the rage right now and I've officially jumped on the bandwagon. 

I purchased a little handing terrarium similar to the one at the right from Whole Foods over the summer. Well, he didn't last long. I had it nicely displayed on the window sill over the sink so that I could enjoy it while doing dishes, and well... the boyfriend came along to put the shade down and... SMASH!    
I'm still waiting for my replacement terrarium (and surprise roses - ahem!). But moving on!

I purchased the white planter (below) from Home Depot last Spring to keep fresh herbs in the house. Sadly, the planter was a bit small and my cilantro, basil and mint didn't even last through the summer. 
                                                                                                                  
My replacement plan was always succulents, but it wasn't until I came across these FAKE succulents at Michaels that I finally got moving with the project. 


As you can see, I simply bent the stems of the fake succulents and pushed them into the already existing potting soil. I know it's not the cleanest option, but I do have plans to replace the dirt with pebbles. Stella was very curious about the whole process. As you can see, I couldn't get a picture without her in it. Meow!                                                                                                                            


I'm really happy with the end result, they look very realistic for being plastic. I even had the boyfriend touch them because he didn't realize they were fake. It works out well since the apartment doesn't get a lot of natural light.

I can't wait to start another succulent project. Check out some of the inspiration pictures I have pinned on Pinterest. There are some really creative ideas out there. 

What a bright idea! (Get it?)
The natural wood, the glass dome, LOVE.
A great way to add some coastal flair.
I passed one of these in TJ Max recently
and now totally regret not taking it home.
Funny enough, I have the exact same bowl!
But I use mine to hold fruits and veggies. 
Channeling a little Kim & Kanye,...
a WALL of succulents.

Has anyone else done something awesome with succulents?

~ Alicia 







Comments

  1. I have been loving all the succulents I have seen out and about but haven't made the jump to bring any home. Definitely going to try now that I see your pretty set up! I love the clean white pots and bright green, so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one little succulent in my kitchen window; my sis gave it to me and it's the only plant I've been able to keep alive. I planted it in a little white bowl that I got for about $2 at Target and I love how it looks. After seeing yours, and the gorgeous inspiration pics, I want to run out and get a dozen more. I love love love how yours look in that pretty planter! I can't believe they're fake; they look so real and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts